Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flat & Easy

63 miles, 9.6 mph, 1190' elevation gain
(Straubing, Germany to Nesslbach)



View Larger Map

Highlights: very nice weather, flat & easy riding along the River Danube, several scenic small cities, riding without a map


()


()


()

Journal: Today the weather was very accommodating (partly cloudy, temps in the mid-60's, slight tailwind) as I continued downriver along the Danube River. In the morning I picked up my food for the day (pastries, walnut bread, sausage sticks & two cheeses) at the Saturday market in the attractive old town of Straubing, then rode on the right side of the Danube to the town of Platttling (where I shall return in several days from Linz to commence my ride up the Isar River back to Munich). From Plattling it was a short ride north to Deggendorf (with another nice old city center) on the left bank of the Danube. I could have camped here, but wanted to keep on pedaling towards Passau (at the German-Austrian border). The only problem is I don't have maps for a 30-40 mile stretch of the Danube before Passau (and I didn't want to pay $10-20 for maps that would only help me for half a day) so I wasn't sure where the campgrounds would be along the way. About 10 km from Deggendorf a German couple told me of a campground just off my map, so I decided to head there. They also said there was another campground 25 km farther in the town of Eering, but I couldn't find the town on my GPS and didn't want to risk running out of daylight looking for something I might not find. Tomorrow I will ride along the popular Passau to Linz segment of the Danube River. Some say it is the most beautiful part, so I hope the weather will cooperate.

No comments: